Barbie is the most famous doll in the world, was created in 1959 by Ruth Handler , when she noticed that her daughter – until then pre-teen – not only wanted to play with babies and children dolls, but with young and modern dolls, so Ruth decided to create a doll that had a youthful face, was beautiful and super-trendy, the doll’s name was named after her daughter, Barbara, who was nicknamed Barbie.
Barbie is produced by Mattel , a company founded by Elliot Handler, husband of Barbie’s creator. Barbie’s first model sold for $ 3, and was quite different from the current models, the doll had much shorter hair and not so platinum, her eyes were not blue and only wore a striped black and white swimsuit. With the success of sales, new models of the doll emerges, and in 1961 she gets a boyfriend, Ken , a doll of a handsome, tall guy, blond body, who is also connected in fashion.
The doll is considered one of the biggest icons of fashion , so much that renowned designers like Christian Dior, Givenchy and Giorgio Armani make exclusive dresses for doll, and in 2009 Barbie participated in New York fashion week, where models paraded costumes designed by these designers. already mentioned and others like Vera Wang, Calvin Klein and Marchesa, made exclusively for Barbie doll, and children also participated in the parade.
Barbie Doll Evolution
Barbie was undergoing physical changes over time and with ever-increasing success. Still in the 1960s, in 1965 he gained flexible legs, which helped when changing clothes, in 1968 he had an even more youthful face, with blue eyes and long eyelashes, and his hair became increasingly blond and longer. Among the new models of Barbie that were emerging, Barbies with professions were very successful, so much so that the doll has had more than 100 professions, Barbie has been a doctor, stewardess, dancer, teacher, astronaut and journalist.
As well as different professions, Barbie also assumes different nationalities, in 1980 was created the ethnic collection of the doll, which was dressed in clothes typical of various countries, such as Japan, Brazil, India, Netherlands, France, Mexico, South Africa.
The doll also has versions of famous people, in 1960 came the Barbie Twiggy model, which was the trendiest model of that time, in the following years comes the Barbie of also models Claudia Shiffer and Naomi Campbel, and the doll Ken is not out of this segment, it appears in the John Travolta version, and later in the Brad Pitt version.
In addition to Ken, who is now Barbie’s ex-boyfriend, since in 2004 they split up, the doll has the company of its six brothers: Skipper (1964), Tutti (1966), Todd (1966), Stacie (1992) , Kelly (1995) and Krissy (1999); Christie, who was raised in the late 1960s and is Barbie’s first black friend, Teresa who is his friend of Hispanic origin, and Becky who was released in 1997 and is Barbie’s first paraplegic friend. Also counting on their pets, which are about 21 dogs, 12 horses, 6 cats, 3 ponies, a chimpanzee, a panda and a zebra.
In 1961 Barbie’s first house was launched , called Dream House, and had only two rooms, the bedroom and the living room. But as the years passed, other larger, more modern homes came into being, the furniture and accessories that were sold separately, and the many cars Barbie already had, usually convertible and pink.
With the ease of children to handle the computer, Barbie also started to act in several websites and online games, proof of this is that the best selling software in the world in 1996 was Barbie Fashion Designer, one of the first softwares made for the female audience.
Barbie is also present in the seventh art and has over ten films, the first released in 1987 as the name “Barbie, Rock Star”.
Here is a list of Barbie movies and their release years:
Barbie, The Rock Star – 1987
Barbie in The Nutcracker – 2001
Barbie as Rapunzel – 2002
Barbie in Swan Lake – 2003
Barbie in The Princess and the Commoner – 2004
Barbie Fairytopia – 2005
Barbie in The Magic of Aladus – 2005
Barbie Fairytopia Mermaidia – 2006
Barbie’s Diary – 2006
Barbie in The 12 Princess Ballerinas – 2006
Barbie Fairytopia The Magic of the Rainbow – 2007
Barbie in The Princess of the Island – 2007
Barbie Butterfly – 2008
Barbie and the Diamond Castle – 2008
Barbie in The Christmas Song – 2008
Barbie on The Little Thumb – 2009
Barbie in The Three Musketeers – 2009
Barbie in Mermaid’s Life – 2010
Barbie Fashion and Magic – 2010
Curiosities about Barbie
- Barbie is sold in 150 countries. And every second, two Barbie dolls are sold somewhere in the world.
- In 1962, Barbie appeared dressed in a pink suit, inspired by Jacqueline Kennedy, who at that time was the first lady of the United States.
- Barbie has always kept up with fashion and lifestyle trends. In 1960 she had a hot pink sports car, in 1970 she had a trailer, in the 1990s she drove a Ferrari, in the 2000s to show she was a modern woman, she worked, uses a cellphone and a computer, and in 2007 a Barbie was launched. that attached to the doll an MP3 player.
- If the Barbie doll were a real woman, she would have the following measures: 1.70m tall, 99cm bust, 46cm waist and 84cm hip.
- In 1971 Barbie Malibu was launched, which had very light blond hair and super tanned skin.
- Barbie became an Olympic athlete in 1976, and in 2000 participated in the Sydney Olympics, representing 17 sports in various countries.
- Barbie has featured classic movie and TV characters such as Romeo and Juliet, Lord of the Rings, Speed Racer, Barbie Batgirl, Barbie as the Rose character from the Titanic movie, Barbie from the Alfred Hitchcock’s The Birds movie, Barbie Medusa, Barbie Grease and many other limited models, which are generally intended for collectors.
- The best selling Barbie of all time was the model released in 1992, Totally Hair Barbie, which came with long blonde hair down to the feet.
- In 1992 Barbie ran for president of the United States.
- A survey of girls between the ages of three and ten shows that 100% of Americans, 98% of Italians and 93% of French have a Barbie at home.
- In 2002, Barbie made her mark on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, as did celebrities Marilyn Monroe and Charles Chaplin.
- Barbie is one of the 100 most important brands in the world and worth about $ 2 billion.
- The most expensive Barbie in the world was launched in 2008, during the release of the Barbie DVD and Diamond Castle, the doll cost $ 94,800 and came with a dress, tiara, sandals, earrings, necklace, bracelet and ring adorned with. diamonds.
- Despite its worldwide success, Barbie is also the target of severe feminist criticism, and there is even an Anti-Barbie community of former collectors.
- In 1999, Barbie appears as a special guest in the movie Toy Story 2, and in 2010 in the sequel Toy Story 3.